Northwest Wildlife Preservation Society
miles donated to date
miles donated towards goal
Northwest Wildlife Preservation Society is a registered Canadian charity (BN13302 9140 RR0001) and BC Society (S-22507) with offices in Vancouver and Victoria serving communities throughout British Columbia and beyond. Since 1987 NWPS has been...
Let your friends know they can help!
20,000 miles donated
+ 2,000 bonus miles
HON LAM C.
1,000 miles donated
+ 100 bonus miles
IOULIA A. from BC
5,000 miles donated
+ 500 bonus miles
3,173 miles donated
+ 317 bonus miles
AboutNorthwest Wildlife Preservation Society is a registered Canadian charity (BN13302 9140 RR0001) and BC Society (S-22507) with offices in Vancouver and Victoria serving communities throughout British Columbia and beyond. Since 1987 NWPS has been preserving wildlife in the Pacific northwest.
The current mandate is Preservation Through Education. Through engaging education and stewardship programs, NWPS introduces British Columbians to the wonders of the natural world in order to encourage an enduring understanding of and appreciation for the importance of wildlife. The three main programs are Indoor Wildlife Workshops, Nature Walks & Workshops, and Youth Environmental Leadership programs. They are offered year-round and free of charge to inner-city school children and at-risk youth in low income areas to ensure marginalized kids are given an equal opportunity to understand their interconnected relationship with wildlife and the importance of protecting it.
NWPS also directly protects wildlife through their Manley Farm Bird & Wildlife Sanctuary, which is a 240 acre property on ALR land in Cobble Hill. The property is comprised of a variety of habitats and uses of land. Mainly it provides a safe habitat for wildlife in the area, including some listed and endangered species such as the northern red-legged frog and barn swallow. There are many projects underway including a wetland restoration, sustainable farming plan development, infrastructure maintenance and education programs.
Some major achievements include:
- delivery of over 2000 education programs to over 200,000 students throughout BC and beyond
- completion of a major wetland restoration in Cobble Hill in 2015
- instrumental in stopping the North American wolf cull in the 80s
- completed a major grassland restoration in 1993
- stewardship of 240 acres for wildlife sanctuary and sustainable farming since 2010
- cleaned over 12km of BC shoreline, clearing 2000+ lbs of garbage
- planted 2500 trees in Surrey to reclaim forestland
- cleared 50,000 lbs of industrial woody debris from the Fraser River Estuary over the last ten years
news and updates
There is no current news or update at this time